Maurita Tollestrup. Powered by Blogger.

To Everything There is a Season

Ever feel like you are just drifting thru life?? Lately I feel like I am just barely getting thru it. Everyday swirls into the next and I still have the same 5, er 10 things on my To Do list {like this blog}. I am constantly playing "catch-up". Picking the MUST DOs, ignoring the SHOULD DOs & just doing the minimal to get by. Just enough laundry so everyone can wear clean sox and undies (though in Berkes case we are treading a thin line---3yrs and semi-potty-trained... ughh); just enough cleaning that I don't feel completely frustrated by the whirlwind that transforms my house back to chaos (case in point-- 4 glasses of dumped strawberry lemonade hit the floor between 3 kids within 10 minutes---hmmmm remind me why I love lids??); just enough time with each kid to know they are loved, before I shoo them away so I can finish up the dishes, or refold the laundry I didn't put away, which now scatters the floors--but not enough time to read Forrest the storybook he has been carrying around the house. I know this is a typical mom/wife/woman/human thing. Finding balance. Finding time. Doing it all or Making people think you do it all. The reality is we can't do everything perfect all the time. There is a time and season for everything.

I recently read a talk by E. Ballard, in it he shares a quote by Author Anna Quindlen in her book, Loud and Clear. She reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She says:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. … I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” (Loud and Clear[2004], 10–11).

Something to think about as my nights and days are all scrambled together. Yes I am a night owl, but only 4nights/week. The other days I crash early with Forrest. Yet here it is nearly 3am & I still need to tidy the house. Get things a bit organized before tomorrow.... or wait--I think that will go on my "TO DO" list too....

4 comments

.Ang. said...

I totally feel like that from time to time!!

2 weeks ago in our Stake Conference SOmeone shared this poem

If I Had My Child to Raise Over Again

If I had my child to raise all over again,I'd finger-paint more, and point the fingers less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting. I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.I would care to know less and know to care more.I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging. I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later. I would be firm less often, and affirm much more.I'd teach less about the love of power, And more about the power of love.
.
By Diane Loomans

I was reminded of it when I read that quote.
Thank you for sharing that quote! I needed to read that!

Sure love you!

-Angie

Tiffany said...

amen sister!!!!

Shel said...

I love this... I was just thinking today about raising babies... oh I would play more ... I really miss all the hugs and kisses... and sweet moments... of course I've forgotten about looking for the lost shoes and sox, and Matthew running to customer service in the store because he wanted to quit shopping after only arriving... 'shelly grigor' please come to customer service to get you 'lost' son Matthew.... Mothers are admirable for all that we do each day...

Talia said...

I haven't checked your blog in a while and was so happy to see a new post. you are not alone. lately i feel like my day is a major accomplishment if i got the kitchen somewhat clean. one day you'll all the time in the world to clean and tidy and you'll wish for these days that you're living right now.

hugs, Txo