Maurita Tollestrup. Powered by Blogger.

Jimmy John

my last post from the summer was Aug 9..... by August 13 we celebrated Tagg's 10th birthday with a pile of his friends and a lame ol' pinahta that fell apart on the first swing. But everyone had fun, especially him-- all that mattered.

The next day-- during the night on the 14th, my dad-- Jim C. passed away quietly, peacefully in his sleep laying next to my mom just like every night for the past 40years (they had just celebrated their 40th anniversary 4 days before on the 11th).


There were many little mercies that Jim left us, sleeping so peacefully-- mom was able to call the Dr. on call at the hospital and Dr. Steed came, so Jimmy could keep sleeping while friends, family.... all came to say good by.  When I got the call that morning from my mom. i couldn't believe it-- Dad?? I just saw him a couple weeks ago? I still can't believe it. It was a whirlwind few days. With visits from Family & friends from all over. The Prayers were felt and we stood together for dad. Our community lifted us like I have never, ever experienced. Flags flown at half-mast, meals and cards, and love dropped at our doors (flats of pop & pepperoni pizza--- the kids fave).

When I was home Dad was always busy, either on ambulance calls, By-Law calls, Fire Deptartment responsibilities. He was always on the go, helping--serving others. And that week, all the service he gave, was paid back to us 10-fold. I saw that week, that my dad wasn't just busy-- he was often helping people in their most dire circumstances-- and now as we needed support, the outpouring of love and concern, remarkable moments given us by members of this same small town community was overwhelming and heart-touching. I feel BLESSED.  Beyond words to describe, how I feel about Raymond; how I now understand better why my Dad gave so much of himself-- because HE LOVED HIS TOWN.


That week our family enjoyed every moment together. Laughing and crying and sharing and even celebrated a birthday. We played at the firehall, with photos of kids being just like Grandpa-- The kids were so good the entire time. Never have we had a week of kids just outside playing all day, no fighting. There was a spirit at our home of peace and I am sure the children felt it too.


When I finally got home and up in his room-- on his bedside table, on a notepad that said "TAKE NOTE" at the top, he had written out the words to "Happy Trails......"  This was the first thing I saw....a message to me? I am certain it was:

Happy trails to you
Until we meet again
Happy trails to you
Keep smilin’ until then
Who cares about the clouds
When we’re together?
Just sing a song
And bring the sunny weather

Happy trails to you
Till we meet again
Happy trails to you
Till we meet again
Happy trails to you
Till we meet again
 
We had my aunts, mom's sisters sing this at the graveside, with my talented cousin Angie accompanying them on her ukelele. It was priceless.

We wanted these moments to be impactful, not only for us, but for our children. These little ones will hardly remember their grandpa later on. Some won't even have a chance to meet him in this life. So we had them write a message to Grandpa and my brother & sister Emily and Ryan blew up colorful helium balloons and slipped each child's message inside. Every year on Grandpa's birthday, Aug 1st we will let balloons off. A simple celebration of a man we love and honor. They can whisper their messages to him and I know he will hear them.

No comments